Sports Services Manager
About the company:
With its head office at the heart of UK mountain biking in the Tweed Valley, Scotland, ESO Sports are specialists in major global mountain bike races and festivals. Formed in 2012 to the launch of the Enduro World Series, ESO Sports, is now part of the Warner Bros. Discovery Sports, Play Sports Group (GCN, GMBN) and Discovery Sports Events family.
Following a landmark agreement with the UCI in February 2022, ESO Sports and Warner Bros. Discovery Sports added the promotion, broadcast and delivery of the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup in XCO, XCC, DHI and XCM categories to the ESO Sports roster. With the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup and Enduro World Series under one roof from 2023, ESO Sports is now firmly the leading international mountain bike racing and events operator in the world.
In addition to the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup and Enduro World Series, in 2023, ESO Sports will deliver the Mountain Bike Cross-Country and Mountain Bike Marathon races on behalf of the 2023 Cycling World Championships in Scotland.
- We share a collective ambition to elevate mountain biking to one of the most respected sports in the world, inviting audiences around the globe to connect with this incredible sport
- Through working closely with the industry on new technology, we continue to drive forward innovations in sport, safety and sustainability
- Our sporting events showcase and develop MTB tourism destinations, ensuring a positive legacy for local communities
Our core values:
- We operate with professionalism and legitimacy, always striving to maintain the integrity of the sport
- We use our drive and our passion to spark innovation and push boundaries
- Creating strong connections is incredibly important to us. Communicating is central to everything that we do
About the role
We are looking for a personable, detail-oriented, organised and computer & technology adept professional to lead the Sports Services staff team.
Sports Services focuses on the racers and teams competing at the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup (and associated events) - which will feature 15 rounds and 10,000+ elite / amateur entries in 2023.
This position is based out of our Innerleithen Scotland offices with regular global travel during the race season (March-October) .
The Sports Services Manager will oversee a staff team responsible for athlete communications and services as well as event registration and race entry administration.
- Management of the Sports Services staff team
- Reporting to the Head of Sport and wider Senior Management
- Development and management of online registration systems
- Develop administrative protocols and manage race entries (qualification criteria, capacity, waitlists, cancellations, upgrades, invoicing, financial reconciliation)
- Oversee race registration (Rider Rights agreements, race licences, memberships, insurance, event waivers, parental authorizations, racer account data)
- Manage onsite Rider Confirmation (preparation of entry lists, organise race packages and registration supplies, distribute team and race accreditation, coordinate race office setup and staff/volunteer support)
- Oversee race timing administration (timing equipment requirement forecasts, preparation of start lists, posting of results and rankings)
- Oversee administration of enduro qualification system (manage qualifier event applications and sanctioning, prepare and publish qualifier calendar, process results/calculating rankings, communications with organisers and racers)
- Liaison with race officials and local organisers
- Manage team / national cycling federations paddock bookings
- Support ESO Media/Communications department with team media accreditation
- Direct the preparation and distribution of race documentation detailing event schedule, rules, course, and venue / race logistics for each event / discipline
- Oversee various athlete communication channels (email distribution lists, instant messaging platforms, newsletters)
- Support ESO Events Operations with podium ceremonies
- Coordinate distribution of prize money
- Support ESO Media/Communications department with creation of reporting for analysis of registration data including forecasting / tracking, demographics for marketing / partners, and event specific data needs
- Knowledge and understanding of all applicable ESO Sports, governing body and national federation regulations as they relate to the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup race entries and qualifications
- Represent the aims of ESO by delivering events that elevate mountain biking to one of the most respected sports in the world
We will provide you with ESO-specific training, and, while we have a supportive and development-focussed environment, you will have responsibilities from the off-set.
Skills and Experience
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Customer Service orientated
- Outstanding organisational and administrative skills
- Analytical and problem solving mind
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Google Suites, including Google Mail, Sheets, Docs, Slides, Drive etc
- Able to work with minimum supervision, demonstrating a high degree of initiative and ability to produce high quality work under tight deadlines
- Outdoor sports events experience, preferably in the mountain biking/cycling industry
- Fluent in English. Proficiency in other languages would be advantageous
The successful Sports Services Manager candidate will have experience of working in a dynamic, flexible, and continually changing environment and must be willing to work as a team-player as required to get the job done to the highest standards.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join ESO as the company experiences a period of significant global growth.
As an active, outdoor and passionate cycling company, at the heart of the mountain bike industry, we celebrate ambitious, creative, innovative and self-motivated individuals who want to join a growing Scottish-based, global organisation.
- Competitive salary, depending on experience
- Company pension
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Welcome gift pack
- Staff discounts with partners
- Team rides/social activities
- Full time, permanent
- Based in Innerleithen, Scottish Borders
- Regular global travel during the race season (March-October)
Start date: January 2023
Application Deadline: 30 November 2022
This role requires the successful candidate to be fully vaccinated as per the current Scottish Government guidelines. If you have any concerns or questions about this, please contact ESO HR at firstname.lastname@example.org