80% of the course, 100% of the racing. Same rulebook as the EWS100.
Introduced in 2019, the EWS80 is exactly what it says in the name. Race 80% of the full EWS course during an EWS weekend, with slightly relaxed rules but all the challenges.
Entry and race Structure Overview
There's no need for pre-qualification and entry is open to anyone who wants to take part. Previously known as the Challenger, the EWS80 is now defined as the race that's set to be tough but achievable for everyone.
Example: The EWS80 you might climb 1600m of an EWS course that sees the pros climb 2000m or you might race one less stage. The 80% is a symbolic statistic - but It's still a massive day out designed to give you the perfect challenge and experience!
Available at select EWS events - 2020 EWS80 race venues to be confirmed.
Entries open in January and and spots will be released on a space available, first come basis.
EWS80 Race Categories
Youth 13-14 (new for 2020)
Youth 15-16 (new for 2020)
U21 Men & Women (17-20)
Men & Women
Master Women 35+
Master Men 40-49
veteran Men 50+
Outline of the EWS80
- Race 80% of an EWS course on EWS weekend
- Race for an EWS80 podium
- No pre-qualification needed
- You have a window of time to complete the each individual stage and the whole course - but there are no individual pre-assigned start times or fixed start intervals
- Self seeded - ride with your friends (even if they are in different categories)
- Simplified rules. Outside assistance is permitted. Bike marking doesn't exist
- Youth and Vet 50+ categories will be offered (in addition to the 6 regular EWS categories)
- EWS Members collect ranking points so you can race an EWS in the future
- Previously called the Challenger, now with more structure and more racing